Throughout his career, Alabama attorney and professional engineer Jacob W. Hill has been involved in various roles in the construction industry — from laborer to design engineer, superintendent, and project manager. He is experienced in the management of building construction projects, particularly design-build. His engineering experience with respect to building construction includes shallow foundation design for conventional buildings and pre-engineered metal buildings, preliminary site investigations, construction materials testing, anchorage design, formwork design, temporary structure design, and civil engineering for commercial site development. Having been involved in varied aspects of construction, he is familiar with engineering design and geotechnical site investigations, and construction means, methods, safety, sequencing, and management. Jacob also remains active as a professional engineer, consulting on various projects and staying abreast of trends and state-of-the-art practices.
As a construction attorney, Jacob couples his industry experience with legal training to bring thoughtful, thorough, cost-effective and creative solutions. Whether he is negotiating a complex design-build contract for a tier 1 automotive supplier facility or reviewing a soils report to craft a risk management plan, Jacob puts his engineering, construction, and legal experience to work for you. In collaboration with his clients, he facilitates and streamlines the procurement, performance and close-out of construction projects.
Add Value to Your Project – Make Jacob a Proactive Member of Your Construction Team
Simply put, Jacob’s unique background for strategic assistance on the front-end of projects in procurement, permitting, risk allocation and management, contracting, and project delivery system selection can bring value to your projects, and may limit the potential for costly disputes. Jacob's clients include:
- general contractors
- equipment rental companies
- suppliers, and
- building owners and developers
Jacob Hill holds a Bachelor of Civil Engineering and Master of Science in Civil Engineering degree from Auburn University and a law degree from Birmingham School of Law. At Auburn, Jacob had the unique opportunity to be one of the last graduate students to study under the tutelage of Dr. Dan Brown – a well-respected geotechnical engineer. There, Jacob authored his thesis entitled “Evaluation of Load Tests for Driven Piles for the Alabama Department of Transportation” and was awarded the Building and Earth Sciences Geotechnical Engineering Fellowship in Civil Engineering.
Bar and Court Admissions
- Alabama, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama, 2014
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)
- American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law
Registrations and Certifications
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of Alabama (#31959)
- OSHA 30 hour training certificate
- LEED® Accredited Professional
- Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, Birmingham School of Law, Birmingham, AL (2014)
- MS, Civil Engineering (geotechnical emphasis), Auburn University, Auburn, AL (2007)
- BS, Civil Engineering, Auburn University, Auburn, AL (2006)
- “An Overview of Alabama’s Lien Law for Contractors and Suppliers,” Dekalb County Home Builder’s Association, January 12, 2015.
- "Risk Management for Engineers," Alabama Section of the American Society of Civil Engineers 2015 Summer Meeting, July 28, 2015.
- Hill, Jacob W., Evaluation of Load Tests for Driven Piles for the Alabama Department of Transportation, MS Thesis, Auburn University (2007).
Prior to founding Jacob W. Hill, LLC, Jacob is proud to have been affiliated with:
- Scruggs, Dodd & Brisendine, Attorneys, P.A.